Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Two passages

Two passages in scripture have been banging around in my head. 


The first is Romans 9:19-23, where Paul explains God's sovereignty with two questions, "What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath—prepared for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his glory known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory—even us, whom he also called, not only from the Jews but also from the Gentiles?


The second is 1 Timothy 2:1-6a where Paul asks believers everywhere to pray for all people and for those in authority, "I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all people."


In the first passage we're asked a question: "What if God wants to make objects of wrath so that he can show his power to objects of mercy?" In the second God's heart is revealed: "He wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth." The first passage is an assertion that God is sovereign. The second is a statement of what God wants. 


One is a hypothetical question. The other is a statement of fact.


(By the way, the Bible is full of other passages that deal with this subject. But these two stand out to me.)


For many people Election vs. Free Will is a bitter and frustrating debate. Others are convinced fully of one way and do not see any need for further discussion. Still others think both doctrines are true and somehow go hand in hand, where God's "decreed will" dictates that He wins in the end, but his "moral will" allows people the freedom to choose which side they want to be on. And yet, it is not by man's choice that salvation comes, but by God's gift. 


It can all be very confusing to say the least, and I don't pretend to understand the mystery of election and choice. I want (need!) to remain completely open to (desperate for!) God's continual revelation, and I pray that God will Luke 24:27 me.


However, here is what I am convinced of as of this writing: 


God is love. Real love. The kind that knows you, chooses you, invites you just as you are, but demands holiness with gentle but firm correction. His love is also one that respects your choice to reciprocate or not, which means you don't have to love Him back (and I think it's pretty clear that not everyone chooses to love Him back). If God forces us, like a puppet master over a marionette, to love Him back wouldn't it cease to be real love? Does God receive glory by forcing our love? Doesn't He rather receive glory when we are drawn by His goodness, his grace, his mercy, and his self-sacrifice--when we come willingly?


Love requires choice.


If we aren't free to choose Him, then we have no way of expressing genuine love to Him, and the commandment "love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength" remains a nice, but inapplicable saying.


So, I believe that within God's love are both His choosing (His election) and our choice to choose Him in return (our free will). However, without His initiation, we have no hope. Unless God expresses His invitation of love, we cannot receive it.


And the expression of God's invitation is Jesus. If we live like Jesus lived, then we become the invitation to the world. We become salt and light. The Holy Spirit, through the people of God, displays the sacrificial love of God's son in the world today. He does this through our actions, through our words, and through our faith. We are God's invitation to the lost. We are the declaration of His love and His election.


That's what I believe.


However, one question lingers in my mind. Does God make vessels of dishonor?--does He make men who are specifically destined for hell? Some passages seem to suggest this. I don't understand it, and I hesitate to believe that it is true, but when I think about God, I know that He can do whatever He pleases. He can reveal His glory in whatever manner He chooses. We are His creation, He designed us, and He knows exactly what He's doing. All I know is that I have no right to judge Him, I have no ability to understand His ways unless He reveals them to me, He doesn't consult me when He makes decisions, and I will not apologize for His actions--because they are His. Like Paul, I must say that if God chooses to do that, He can. He has every right to. But, does He do that? I don't know.


Either way, I trust that He is love.


Luke 9:20 -- "What do you think?"

No comments:

Post a Comment